In addition to voice commands such as “Alexa, order a taxi”, Amazon’s Alexa voice control system already offers a wide range of voice commands for music playback such as “Alexa, play Radio 1” on its Amazon Echo systems. In our opinion, the Amazon speakers cannot replace a stereo or home cinema system in terms of sound. However, you can combine the sound of high-quality speakers with the functionality of voice control. We explain how to connect a voice control wizard like the Echo Dot to a Hi-Fi system.
Connect Echo Dot and Echo Input to a sound system via Bluetooth
An existing system can be expanded with certain Amazon-Echo devices to include Alexa voice control in a matter of minutes. The audio system only needs to have Bluetooth or free line-in. The Echo Dot and the Echo Input are particularly suitable as extensions for music playback.
Both the Echo Dot and Echo Input have Bluetooth and analogue audio output. Depending on the equipment, these two interfaces enable the connection to the existing system. Pairing the Amazon device with your own sound system is initiated in your Alexa app under Settings > Bluetooth. It is important that the systems are in pairing mode.
✔ Note: For speech recognition to work properly, the Amazon Echo should be at least 1 meter away from your speakers. 1st generation Echo speakers do not provide a cable interface.
Expand voice control for your audio system
The Bluetooth coupling described above is still limited in the control system. For example, you cannot switch the system on or off via voice control. You’ll need additional hardware such as Logitech’s Harmony Hub to give such commands. This control unit and app turns the smartphone into a multi-functional remote control. It is also Alexa compatible. The control unit can connect to a wide range of electronic products via infrared, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
You can also find devices compatible with the Harmony Hub in our online shop:
With the Harmony Skill for Alexa you already have a series of pre-set voice commands at your disposal. With services like Yonomi you can even define your own voice commands for your Hi-Fi system.
That might sound a little complicated, but the effort pays off. You can also use this set-up to control other devices such as TVs and SAT receivers via Alexa or your smartphone. For all those who are interested in Smart Home and automated control, it is definitely worth putting in a little time to set up your system.
Functions of the Alexa voice control
After successful pairing, Alexa responds with a voice message. Now you can hear the voice of the voice assistance software over your speakers. You can also control the playback of Amazon Music and Spotify with Alexa and hear it through your speakers. Deezer and TuneIn are also directly supported by voice control.
Furthermore, there is the possibility to extend the range of functions via Alexa Skills. In the Skill Store, a variety of specific skills are available. For example, radio fans might be interested in the Deutschlandfunk News Skill, which allows you to listen to the news by voice command. In addition, a number of other audio applications are available for download in the audio area of the Skill Store.
Smart by nature – Teufel Streaming speakers
We make our speakers so that they are ready for the networked living room: they have a Wi-Fi module for integration into the home network, smartphone control, Bluetooth for coupling with other devices and support a variety of digital playback sources.
- ▶ Stereo L: The Stereo L combines the best of old-school audio with modern technology. It is a classic stereo set with two 3-way column speakers that deliver the finest sound. Secondly, they support lossless Wi-Fi streaming, multi-room playback and NAS servers as playback sources – you couldn’t wish for more.
- ▶ Stereo M: The smaller sibling of the Stereo L is also a hit with audio fans. Here too, we offer a true 3-way system: one high-end coaxial driver and one Kevlar woofer per channel for a high-resolution sound image. In addition to all the advantages of the Stereo L, the smaller Stereo M offers excellent sound in a space-saving design.
More streaming speakers from Teufel
Conclusion: coupling the Amazon Echo with Hi-Fi systems
- The Amazon Echo can be easily coupled with existing speakers or receivers via Bluetooth.
- Connecting via AUX cable is also possible with the Echo (but not with first-generation Echo speakers).
- Advanced voice control features such as turning channels on and off or selecting channels require additional hardware and software such as the Amazon Harmony Hub.
- You can assign your own commands to the voice control via services like Yonomi.