Holiday essentials: toothbrush, swim suit, sun cream… and a Bluetooth speaker of course! Creating and listening to your own soundtrack can make your travel experience all the more fun. The only questions to consider are: how much space do you have in your suitcase and which features do you need from your speaker. A compact, wireless sound system is definitely a good start. Here, we explain other important functions and clarify hand luggage regulations for Bluetooth speakers.
What makes a speaker travel-ready
A travel speaker should deliver good sound, and be easy to transport at the same time. After all, you don’t want to unnecessarily weigh yourself down on holiday. There are three factors that determine how portable and functional a speaker system is on holiday:
- ❶ Size and weight
- ❷ Battery life
- ❸ Durability
❶ Considering that some airlines limit hand luggage to 8 kg, even a speaker that weighs 1 kg can make a big difference. Depending on the model, the weight of compact speakers can also be well above the kilo mark. Space restrictions in your suitcase and your beach bag can also be a constraint on the dimensions of your speaker.
❷ A battery-powered speaker should last a day on the beach or a party night. In raw numbers, this means that eight hours battery life is a good place to start. You should note that in practice, the run time always depends on the volume – louder sound will wear down your battery faster.
❸ You don’t have to be able to take the speaker into the water, but it should at least be able sand- and shockproof to some extent. The robustness of a speaker is rated by IPX protection grades, but far from all speakers have this certification. If yours doesn’t, consider whether the materials and finish of the speaker will stand up to your specific use.
Zone out on the beach with Teufel headphones
Nearly every wireless speaker uses Bluetooth technology. Especially when you are on the road, it has a crucial part to play. The wireless standard enables smartphones and speakers to be connected wirelessly and for music to be played from local memory as well as via streaming services.
Different Bluetooth transmitters can affect the quality due to compatibility with different codecs, such as aptX. With aptX, used in Teufel’s Bluetooth speaker line, data loss is reduced to a bare minimum due to efficient compression algorithm, allowing for Bluetooth streaming in CD quality.
Bluetooth speakers in hand luggage
Portable Bluetooth speakers are allowed to be taken in your carry-on luggage. The only restriction concerns the Watt-hour (Wh) rating of the battery. The battery must not exceed 100 Wh. This limit also applies to power banks and other batteries.
Even if you check-in your luggage, we would advise you to keep your speaker in your hand luggage. After all, luggage is often not handled with the utmost care and it is best to avoid knocking the speaker around too much.
Ready for a holiday? So are our portable speakers!
All you have to remember is to take it with you. Our battery-powered speakers take care of the rest.
- ▶ BOOMSTER GO: Coming in at a width of 10.7 cm, and weighing just 355 g, this the smallest speaker we offer. But the BOOMSTER GO proves that even little speakers can sound positively gigantic, and come packed full of intelligent features. With up to 10 hours of battery life, this thing can keep running as long as you can keep partying.
- ▶ ROCKSTER GO: The ROCKSTER GO is an outdoor speaker designed to stand up to the most extreme conditions. With IPX-7 certification, not only is it totally dust- and sand-proof, it can even be submerged in up to a meter of water for as long as half an hour. So take it hiking, take it skiing, and don’t even shy away from snorkeling, if you’re so inclined. With Bluetooth aptX support, and up to 12 hours of battery life, you can trek clear into the middle of the Gobi desert and still enjoy HIFI audio of all your favorite tracks.
- ▶ MOTIV® GO: This stylish little devil is small and sleek enough to fit into your carry-on no problem. With IPX5 rating, it can stand up to sand, dust, and splashing water, so feel free to take it on a picnic, or wherever your summer adventures take you. Outfitted with Teufel’s signature Dynamore technology, this one speaker can virtually simulate a larger array of speakers in stereo configuration, so you’ll feel like you’re really in the action.
More battery-powered speakers from Teufel
Conclusion: battery-powered speakers for travel
- Portability and travel suitability are significantly impacted by battery performance, size/weight and durability.
- If it’s going in your carry-on, a speaker with battery should not weigh more than 1 kg.
- The aptX codec enables particularly high-quality Bluetooth streams through near lossless compression methods.
- On flights, it is safer to carry Bluetooth speakers in your hand luggage.